Karmen or NFA or MOB? best in clapot/messy sea

Matti nl

Re: Karmen or NFA or MOB? best in clapot/messy sea

Message par Matti nl » ven. janv. 21, 2022 4:55 pm

Dear Gong fans,
Since it was so hard for me to choose between the NFA and the Karmen, I purchased a KArmen 8’4 in April (a month after the NFA). I fell in love immediately. Although I like the NFA a lot, I felt I needed something smaller, more manouvrable and better suited for more wild circumstances. The Karmen just does that. It is very stable (my wife finds it more stable than the NFA – I don’t really agree, I would say the NFA is slightly more stable), has a good acceleration (not so good as the NFA but still very good) and turns super easy. Biggest attributes for me are the ease with handling steep waves and the fact that it is super performant in recoveries – staying on board and keeping speed when waves suddenly break or when you have to make a big drop – for learning intermediates a very good and handy quality especially with the difficult – often far from perfect – circumstances here in the North Sea, and the large rocker in the nose which makes nosediving part of history. So now when the waves are slow or 1m and lower I usually take the NFA – and when more messy, steep or higher waves I take the Karmen. And when I go with my wife she always claims Karmen – so actually we need another Karmen . This summer I took her to the Vendee and the Landes and it was a real delight. Still supping all year round here in the North Sea, water currently 6 degrees and air around 3, so a bit chilly but the best circumstances here in the Netherlandse are in the winter so this is the time to go for it!

For progression when to buy a new board I am hesitating between a Karmen pro 7’11 or 84, or a Zero 9’0. The zero 8’5 would be very interesting but I am a little afraid of the low volume. I also obtain a Mob 2Taste 7’6 (105liter) and I really like it on small, clean days, it is like a skateboard – but when it gets more messy and choppy stability gets tricky for me (1,75, 79 kg). Downsizing Karmen could be an option, but I am curious if the stability of the 7’11 would feel better compared to the Mob 7’6 due to its increased length? And I am curious what the differences in glide and ride are between the Karmen FSP 2x and the Karmen pro version.

Matthieu
Karmen 8’4
Mob 2 Taste 7’6
NFA 9’0
Naish Mana 9’5

coolas

Message par coolas » ven. janv. 21, 2022 5:47 pm

Hi Matthieu,

It is a good thing that you tested the Mob 7'6" 105 liters, as it is a very stable shape, so I can say that you will find the Karmen 7'11" 105l less stable laterally. The Karmen will paddle a bit faster, but the difference will be minimal.

I would think the new Mob 7'6" "Cool" with its 120L could be your solution: it has a very early wave entry for its length, but the added volume and ofo widths compared to the one you tried will be much more comfortable in heavy chop.

I am afraid that the Zero 8'5" may not feel more stable than the Mob you tested, especially with all the winter neoprene weight, MagW or matt5neufSUP will have more relevant advice.

The Pro construction will help to generate speed by pushing on your legs in turns, but I do not think you will see a lot of difference otherwise.
Dernière modification par coolas le ven. janv. 21, 2022 5:50 pm, modifié 1 fois.
2019: 7'3" Fatal 105L, Alley 7'8" 105L & 8'1" 120L, Zero 9'0" 115L
2022: Mob 7'6" cool 120L, Alleys custom 7'10" 112L & 8'1" 114L
2023: Karmen custom 7'11" 118L
Surf: 9'1" XTR proto glider

Fred GONG

Message par Fred GONG » ven. janv. 21, 2022 5:50 pm

Hello Matthieu,

First, thank you very much for your feed back :wink: 8)

The Karmen and the NFA are two boards that go very well together. Reducing the size of the Karmen may be a good option, and I know you already have a Mob, but the new Mob is very different. As Colas said, a Cool Mob would be a good option to continue surfing in waves from hip to shoulder size.

phpBB [video]

Thank you.
GONG team / Modérateur / May the foil be with you !

MagW

Message par MagW » lun. janv. 24, 2022 6:58 pm

I agree with Coolas!
If you want stability and speed in small surf the new Mob would suit you, It think.
/Magnus
22: NFA9'xs
21: NeverStick 9'8
20: Zero 8'5
19: 7'8 Karmen Pro
13: Sherpa BR 12'6
Carbon Racing S and Pro 7"
23: Mint 5’, HM85, CurveH-XL, H-L, FluidH45
23: Droid UP 4,5 & 5,5

Emanuele La Rosa

Message par Emanuele La Rosa » dim. août 21, 2022 8:25 pm

Hallo,

I'm 80 Kg, I have a Karmen 7.11 that is great in glassy condition, but it creates some troubles with wind and chop. I'd like to add a board, but there is a constraint, I cannot but boards longer than 8 feet (my cellar can't host boards longer than 8 feet). The boards I'm considering are the NFA 8 and the MOB 7.6 Cool.
I'd like to learn something with longboard styles, however I need something stabler than Karmen, and I'm worried these boards are too close, that's why I was thinking about MOB 7.6.
What do you suggest?

coolas

Message par coolas » dim. août 21, 2022 8:47 pm

Emanuele La Rosa a écrit :
dim. août 21, 2022 8:25 pm
I'd like to learn something with longboard styles, however I need something stabler than Karmen, and I'm worried these boards are too close, that's why I was thinking about MOB 7.6.
What do you suggest?
Stability-wise, they should be similar: The Mob is 2cm wider and wider at the tail, but the NFA is wider at the nose and has less rocker.

They should be similar for learning to cross-step by offering a stable platform, with an advantage to the NFA since it is 6" longer.

However, the Mob will "pump" better (pushing in the turns will generate speed), go through chop better (more rocker) where the NFA will be better for a retro style:
- noseride better: less rocker means the nose will not push water in noserides and make the tail spin out. Plus you can put a huge central fin
- ride better from the center (classic style of feet close together), and for drop-knee turns, as the board will enter more easily in turns with its narrower tail

Basically, the Mob will be better for an agressive modern style and the NFA a retro style.
2019: 7'3" Fatal 105L, Alley 7'8" 105L & 8'1" 120L, Zero 9'0" 115L
2022: Mob 7'6" cool 120L, Alleys custom 7'10" 112L & 8'1" 114L
2023: Karmen custom 7'11" 118L
Surf: 9'1" XTR proto glider

Répondre

Revenir à « Choisir sa planche / Choose your board »