Wingspans of Wings -

Nolipoli

Wingspans of Wings -

Message par Nolipoli » lun. juin 29, 2020 1:01 pm

I have a Gong Plus 5m Limited edition (with windows) , and want to get a bigger wing for lighter conditions here in Auckland, New Zealand.

It would be great if there was information on the wingspans of all the different wings so I could compare them. This would be especially for the Superpower 6m, and the Pulse 7m. Does anyone have this information?

coolas

Re: Wingspans of Wings -

Message par coolas » lun. juin 29, 2020 6:03 pm

Gong has always refused to give the precise span dimensions, both because it can be very misleading as it is just a parameter among many (shape, dihedral angle, ...) and it is a kind of "magic ingredient" that is seen as a part of the essential trade secrets, a bit like the rocker curve of boards, that you do not want competitors to obtain too easily or too quickly.

I am not one to judge or argue if it is justified or not, I am just telling you that this lack information is on purpose.
2019: 7'3" Fatal 105L, Alley 7'8" 105L & 8'1" 120L, Zero 9'0" 115L
2022: Mob 7'6" cool 120L, Alleys custom 7'10" 112L & 8'1" 114L
2023: Karmen custom 7'11" 118L
Surf: 9'1" XTR proto glider

Nolipoli

Message par Nolipoli » lun. juil. 20, 2020 11:29 am

Thanks for the reply. It is quite hard to choose because I am on the other side of the world and don't see any other Gong Wings here.

Ours
Site Admin

Message par Ours » lun. juil. 20, 2020 12:27 pm

Hello,

wingspan is not a good point to take a decision.

Do you wing naturally goes up or down?
Do you fly fast or slow?
Do you like lightwind?
Do you use a long mast?
Were you windsurfer?
etc etc etc...

Talking about wing span is like talking about width of a surfboard. Ok, this is important, but not enough to take a decision.

I spent my week end with guys who think that my Batmob was to wide for them. But when they tried, they were amazed. They never think that a board like this could be so efficient !!! Actually, all parameters of the board work together.
It is the same for a wing.

In the future, we will tell the wingspan, but now people will focus on this parameter instead to try to understand there real needs.

Anyway, the SP is the more compact wing of the market, and it doesn't flaps ;-)

One more, a great wingsurfer can do all the lightwind program with a 5m2. A 6 or a 7m2 is just an extra power to be more confortable.
Remember that between 10 and 12knots, there is a difference of almost 20% of power. It is the same between a 5 and a 7m2.
So do you want to fly at 10 knots or can you wait the next rise with 12 knots. That's the question ;-)

Of course a big wing is not comfortable: it is such a pity. But if you can't wait 12 knots, you need it.

Thanks,
GONG owner and shaper

Ours
Site Admin

Message par Ours » lun. juil. 20, 2020 12:28 pm

Nolipoli a écrit :
lun. juil. 20, 2020 11:29 am
Thanks for the reply. It is quite hard to choose because I am on the other side of the world and don't see any other Gong Wings here.
Am 100% sure you will love it. But you need to be sure of what you want and why you want it. Because a water tool is always a compromise.
GONG owner and shaper

Répondre

Revenir à « Choisir sa wing / Choose your wing »