Smaller board

IcSurf

Smaller board

Message par IcSurf » lun. juil. 06, 2020 8:50 pm

Firstly, the wing, foil, Zuma board and service from Gong as always is brilliant. I love this sport and Gong had inspired me with videos and gear!!

I've just started wing foiling and loving it. I live in England, 75kgs, fit, 47yrs,surf and Sup surf, no foil and no wind sports experience. I live next to an estuary and 2 mins from an exposed beach with plenty of wind but not great surf (I travel for waves) .. I've had 90 mins behind a boat foil, 15 sessions on my sup whilst waiting for my foil board and 6 sessions with foil and board. Getting on foil consistantly with some nice straight line runs on foil, nice progression.

My question.. My Gong Zuma board feels pretty big. Its light but 6'6 120L on the foil feels like big.. Gong advised the next size down..!! If I got a smaller board for example I like the new gong hype inflatable (like idea of softer impacts) 5'1 28" 85L or safer? 5'3 28" 110L do you think it would aid progression? If I can't get the tide right I have to contend with some busy confused and choppy High Tide water but I'm comfortable with the knee start on the Zuma board. To aid learning to gybe on foil and carve turns should I look to a smaller board now or continue on the bigger board until I'm better? I can't help thinking about sup surfing and going to small to soon. But being agile and turning on foil must be alot easier on a 5'1 or 5'3 board than a 6'6?
Any help or experience would be great..
2019 Zero 9' 115L
Gong Carbon Pro Paddle 7
XLT, LT, Curve Pro Foil
V2 Alu 95 mast
85cm Carbon mast
5'1 Matata Foil 55L (and 85L other brand)

Ours
Site Admin

Re: Smaller board

Message par Ours » mar. juil. 07, 2020 8:20 am

Hello,

the difference between a big 6'6 and a 5'1 for example, is mostly on the inertia. It takes more time or energy to move a bigger board.

That doesn't mean what people think: actually a bigger board is easier during flight. It moves slower and gives you more time.

So when you must go on a small board: when you are tired of the big one. There is no better answer because it is a matter of feeling more than a need.

Thanks,
GONG owner and shaper

IcSurf

Message par IcSurf » mar. juil. 07, 2020 9:25 am

Understood, thank you.

I will improve more before moving to small board.

As my intermediate board (pre-order Hipe September) it will be either Flint or Hipe. I like the idea of the Hipe but in the video Patrice says the Hipe is equivalent to Zuma. This probably means that the Flint is slightly better at a few things for an intermediate. Is this correct?

Also with isup if you surf them (none foil) it is easy to nose dive. If you wingsurf the Hipe and you come down from the foil a big heavy/fast is it possible the nose gets stuck and you go over the front. I couldn't see this happening with a hard board.

Thanks
Ian
2019 Zero 9' 115L
Gong Carbon Pro Paddle 7
XLT, LT, Curve Pro Foil
V2 Alu 95 mast
85cm Carbon mast

IcSurf

Message par IcSurf » sam. août 08, 2020 9:36 pm

I have been winging alot since the last post and have improved vastly. This week 6 sessions!

I would like to move to smaller board.

For my 75kgs (although in the UK always a wetsuit and winter 5/4, boots, gloves etc..) I'm not looking for tricks or jumps. I want speed and to start to take some small waves. So either....
Hipe 5'1, 85L
Hipe 5'3, 110L
Flint 5'2 80L
Flint 5'6 95L

Im not an expert so the Lemon 4'10 I have not considered and the 5' Lemon is 100L. Wrong program for now..

What do you think. Mainly winds 8 to 25knots.

The Hipe I like the idea of my children learning on it but it seems heavier than the Flint. Although I liked what the Bear said about the Hipe being the easiest in the range to get on foil. This would save energy for longer sessions in light wind..

Thanks..
2019 Zero 9' 115L
Gong Carbon Pro Paddle 7
XLT, LT, Curve Pro Foil
V2 Alu 95 mast
85cm Carbon mast

Répondre

Revenir à « Choisir sa planche de wing foil / Choose your wing foil board »