Control in waves over 2m compared to MOB FSP 8.3

loop

Control in waves over 2m compared to MOB FSP 8.3

Message par loop » mar. juil. 23, 2019 4:46 pm

hi, i have a question or call it a luxury problem.

Currently I have a Curve 2017 Pro 8.9 , which i keep for the larger days (for Bretagne, Normandy or BIG NL day) and a MOB 2019 FSP 8.3 for the smaller waves (mainly NL).
Both with 140 liters, which is nice and comfy when paddling out with my 2.0 meters length and 86 kg.
I am really happy with both boards!

However, I feel i encounter some specific limits:
The Curve 8.9 is best for long curves and perect in higher waves for me. But realy fast short turns to the lip are more difficult due to its length and rocker line.
The Mob 8.3 is very fast and turny in smaller waves (0.5 - 1.5 meters), that we have a lot here in The Netherlands. When we occasionally get higher, more powerfull waves of more than 2 meters, I find it sometimes throws me off in an ambitious sharp bottom turn :mrgreen:

If I look for faster and shorter turns than now with current boards, in waves of between 1 and 3 meters.
Would a Fatal 7.7 120 liters be a good addition?
Or at the moment I also see a smaller Curve 7.11 115 liters. Would that board be a better addition?
I realize both boards are shorter and require better positioning for the take off and a steep section of the wave.
I don't want to go down to less than 115-120 liters yet, because I will only be swimming than in stead of standing upright...

Curious for some experiences. Thanks in advance! :D
2017-2019 Gong Curve Pro 8.9 + home-cooked MOB
2019 Gong MOB FSP 8.3
2020-2021 Gong MOB FSP2x 8.3 + Gong Fatal 7.7
2022 Gong Fatal 7.7 + Alley 8.6 + NFA 9.0

coolas

Re: Control in waves over 2m compared to MOB FSP 8.3

Message par coolas » mar. juil. 23, 2019 6:33 pm

Hi loop, I guess you have 4 options:
  • A smaller Curve, but the 8'4". I am afraid that the 7'11" will be too big a step. No surprise here, it will be like your curve, but nimbler. Its shape can be seen now as inbetween the Karmen and Alley.
  • A 8'4" Karmen. A speed machine, creating speed but also managing it for secure high speed carves fully on the rail. A bit stabler than the Curve.
  • A 8'1" Alley. Able to throw ultra tight turns in the most critical sections, but more apt to control speed than generate it. A bit less stable than the Curve, but it is quite dependent on your front foot position: if you can keep you front heel away from the rail it is actually a tad stabler than the curve. Its secret is that you can drive it really from the rear, with a long but very light nose it acts as a much shorter board, but has the paddling speed of a longer board, wheras you could not stay as long on the tail of a curve. This way you do not have to move your feet a lot in turns so you can react more quickly.
  • A Fatal 7'7". Slower to paddle, but the stabler laterally of the 4, and a ball of energy with insane accelerations. You need to be commited in turns, full on/off. Over head high waves, riding it casually is OK, it can handle a lot of power, but it is harder to drive agressively than the Karmen or Alley, as it responds harder in turns, less smoothly.
I had the 4 boards. I am not a big wave rider, but I used them all in Hossegor powerful break "La Nord" - but in "small" conditions, max double overhead, with no issues. And as a small wave rider, I used them also in thigh-high waves and they were fun, although the Fatal is more at ease in the 1-2m conditions than the full 1-3m. All 4 options are valid.
2019: 7'3" Fatal 105L, Alley 7'8" 105L & 8'1" 120L, Zero 9'0" 115L
2022: Mob 7'6" cool 120L, Alleys custom 7'10" 112L & 8'1" 114L
2023: Karmen custom 7'11" 118L
Surf: 9'1" XTR proto glider

Répondre

Revenir à « Choisir sa planche / Choose your board »