Straps avant, mais pas arrière

coolas

Straps avant, mais pas arrière

Message par coolas » mar. juin 09, 2020 7:42 am

La Hipe n'a pas de strap AR, et je viens de lire sur le forum US ce retour intéressant qui aussi prèfère seulement le strap avant.... avec le bémol est que comme la plupart des planches autres que Gong, son foil est trop en arrière et donc position de rame et de vol ne coïncident pas, ce qui a influencé sa décision (son point "1)"):
The case for a front footstrap - why anything else is holding you back!

I spent my first 200+ sessions foil SUPing without any footstraps. Then I finally got a new board that has inserts, so I decided to throw on straps - lo and behold getting up on foil seemed to get easier. After several sessions I found the back footstrap to be super limiting and took it off. WOW! so much better and I never missed it (I'll explain more below). So I bought some NSI sticky mounts and hacked up the pad on my older board so I could add a front footstrap. After several sessions and some very carefully orchestrated A/B testing I think I can confidently say that (for me) a single front footstrap is the perfect setup.

About that carefully orchestrated A/B testing... First session out with my old board and front strap (100+ sessions without straps) - I was catching EVERYTHING. The ability to push forward and up with my front foot to "pop" into the wave and up on foil is magical. I kept lining up further and further outside and kept right on catching everything. Then all of a sudden just as I was popping particularly early into a nice set wave, my front foot flew forward and the NSI sticky mount came off. My fault for not prepping the surface well enough - I was in a rush the night before. So I was forced to spend the rest of the session strapless. It was incredible the difference - I was pretty well calibrated from an hour or so of riding the exact same conditions. I couldn't grab waves nearly as far outside, and getting into the wave and up on foil was taking noticeably more paddle strokes and effort. So for me, it was case-closed: front footstrap makes catching waves easier

As far as the back footstrap goes, I've got two serious issues with using it:

1) For the board I've been riding, the flatwater floating balance point of the board is about 6" forward of the foil's center of effort. That means that if I put both feet in the straps and try to paddle around, I have to have weight quite biased to my forward foot or sink the tail. Works a lot better to have my front foot in the strap and my back foot about 8-12" forward of the flying position. With the strap installed, I've got the ball of my foot on the strap screwhead. Getting into the back strap has to happen just at the right moment, and was prone to frequent error for me. This is coming from a life-long windsurfer, so I'm used to straps.

2) On my strapless board, I have a back foot bump indicating proper flying position. However, I've found that on certain wave conditions, the foil flies better with my foot 2" forward - yes it makes a difference!

3) For pumping there is a dramatic improvement by sliding the back foot further forward around 4-6". This for me is the biggest problem with the rear strap - it's in the wrong spot for pumping! Furthermore, there is no need to "pull" the board up on the back foot during pumping - it may even be a detriment to the way the water flows over the foil. On a good pump, I'm fully unweighting the back foot. Its really hard for me to do that just right with a back footstrap. On the flip-side, there is a nice benefit on a SUP to being able to pull upwards on the front footstrap. It seems to help the board pitch upwards and counteracts the extra weight in the nose versus a prone board that pitches up by itself.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts. Based on the way I ride, and my careful testing, I'll be running a single front footstrap on all my foilSUP boards from now on.

I don't understand the situation where one strap could get you injured where having two would have protected me. I meant to bring that up as an open question. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Honestly, I've had no trouble coming right out of the strap whenever I want.
2019: 7'3" Fatal 105L, Alley 7'8" 105L & 8'1" 120L, Zero 9'0" 115L
2022: Mob 7'6" cool 120L, Alleys custom 7'10" 112L & 8'1" 114L
2023: Karmen custom 7'11" 118L
Surf: 9'1" XTR proto glider

Fred06

Re: Straps avant, mais pas arrière

Message par Fred06 » mar. juin 09, 2020 2:49 pm

Je parle pour le kitefoil.
Avantages:
- on peut placer le pied arrière où on veut en fonction de l'allure, de si on démarre ou qu'on est en vol ou si on tourne, et au final deplacer une jambe ca fatigue moins que deplacer son poids car on peut avoir un ecartement de pieds reduit a minimum necessire
- un strap en moins c'est des inserts de moins donc moins de poids, prix reduit, et points de fragilité/d'infiltration potentielle reduits
Inconvenients:
- pour sauter c'est plus difficile
- psychologiquement avec un pied strapé et pas l'autre on se dit qu'on va se tordre plus facilement la cheville ou le genou. Réellement je ne sait pas si c'est le cas

Jcsurf

Message par Jcsurf » mar. juin 09, 2020 7:27 pm

Sans strap arrière on peut vite se faire une cheville quand on débute, vu le potentiel de chuttes improbables qu on se prends à la moindre erreur.
La solution : des straps largables. Testés et approuvés.

CyTo

Message par CyTo » mar. juin 09, 2020 7:29 pm

Bonjour,

J'ai toujours kitefoilé avec uniquement le pied AV strapé et je n'ai jamais ressenti de gêne particulière à me dégager de la board lorsque je devais le faire.
De plus je confirme que l'emplacement de la jambe/pied est totalement "Free" en fonction du style de ride.
D'ailleurs je n'exclue plus le fait de rider totalement sans strap.
CyTo Ambassadeur
Unik 9/Strutwave 11/Carbon Mast 85/Allvator 69Pro M/Stab Fast45+Catch FSP 2X 4'4
Neutra 3.5+4.5+5.5/LethalPro120/ CarbonMast HM 85/Curve H1300+H1100/Stab Fluid H45
Cloud WCKF 8'6/NFA PRO 9XL/CM10'6/Pagaies Carbon Pro 7+8+Alu

oliv33

Message par oliv33 » mer. juin 10, 2020 9:48 am

Avec uniquement le strap avant, je me suis déjà fait une cheville ...

Depuis, c'est double straps larguables. Je trouve que l'on récupère mieux les erreurs avec deux straps (quand on début comme moi).
Je fais aussi du surf strapé, je retrouve peut être des sensations.

och85

Message par och85 » mer. juin 10, 2020 1:50 pm

Moi c'est l'inverse, je trouve beaucoup plus sécu les staps uniquement à l'avant.
Quand c'est bien réglé je m' éjecte beaucoup plus facilement en poussant avec le pied arrière libre la board loin de moi. Je ne suis jamais resté coincé.
J'ai très vite abandonné le strap arrière.
Avec l'avant tu gardes le contrôle et avec la liberté d'ajustement avec le pied arrière.
Même pour l'apprentissage des jibes ca m'a semblé le bon compromis.
SUP : NFA9, Couine Marie 10, Mob2Taste 7,11
Kite : Matata 5.2, Foil 5’10 Catch 3CS & Allvator 80 + aile surf/sup M/(70 cm)
Surf : Ten Blues 9.2, Batmob 7.2
Wing : Wing + 5
GongUser heureux

coolas

Message par coolas » mer. juin 17, 2020 10:00 am

On dirait que la team utilise de plus en plus une seule strap avant, même sur les rigides:

Sur les news du jour: https://www.gong-galaxy.com/magazine/ne ... t-fsp-pro/

2019: 7'3" Fatal 105L, Alley 7'8" 105L & 8'1" 120L, Zero 9'0" 115L
2022: Mob 7'6" cool 120L, Alleys custom 7'10" 112L & 8'1" 114L
2023: Karmen custom 7'11" 118L
Surf: 9'1" XTR proto glider

raf85

Message par raf85 » mer. juin 17, 2020 11:42 am

Idem pour moi en wing, straps en v devant pour le contrôle, le pied avant n'a pas besoin de bouger, et sans strap arrière pour la liberté de placement.
J'ai tout essayé, c'est la meilleure config pour moi.
Pour l'instant strapless en supfoil, mon expérience de la wing va peut-être me convertir aussi au strap avant ! :wink:
Dernière modification par raf85 le jeu. mars 18, 2021 1:23 pm, modifié 1 fois.
1m78 et 68 kg, Zéro 9', pagaie carbone pro 7, surf Pie 5'6", Acidolly 8'4", mât H 70cm/H 85cm, YpraS M,L et XL

Darkinluv34

Message par Darkinluv34 » jeu. mars 18, 2021 1:03 pm

Salut,j'ai vu passer sur le groupe fb,un type qui a installé un strap arrière sur sa hipe donc autocollant.

Je commence à sauter avec et j'aimerais un peu plus de contrôle
- mob2taste 7'2 + allvator LTrise
-hipe 5'1
-wing 5+/sp6
-redwoodpaddle source 8'11

Répondre

Revenir à « Tout ce qui parle de matos foil et qui ne rentre pas dans les autres rubriques »