Wing and harness rope for long upwind?

EnricoCaribe

Wing and harness rope for long upwind?

Message par EnricoCaribe » lun. oct. 28, 2019 5:23 pm

Hey guys!!! Winging downwind between the waves is great, but then I have to do some long upwind runs to get back. Days ago I used the harness rope on my gong wing 5m and I like it! Very relaxing on long rides without maneuvering. Has anyone used it? Experiences?

My impressions are:
Positive: go upwind with relax, i can move my hands easyer, run it only one or without 8) , recharge energy for surfing
Negative: less sensibility on wing, less fun, need a bit more wind, risk to damage the board when go up

I probably need more experience to not get tired in the long upwind but it's so nice surfing the waves !!! You would never stop! :P :P :P

Life is short, waves are big and the wind is strong. I love the last 2

dipet

Re: Wing and harness rope for long upwind?

Message par dipet » lun. oct. 28, 2019 9:00 pm

sounds great!
looks like a regular windsurf harness lines? do you know the lenght?
Will have to try that some time!

EnricoCaribe

Message par EnricoCaribe » lun. oct. 28, 2019 11:22 pm

Yes, is an dakine windsurf line. I'm old windsurfer.... my lines is a vario model and i have trimmed a bit long than normal trim of windsurf. It is personal but i have set just a bit shorter than my arms set of wing's handle position when i run on my supfoil. i have set at the beach and in the water function perfect. you must try hook and unook at the beach, so you ar sure of trim. you can see on my the picture where i have fix the line on the ing handle. is not perfect but function good. Enjoy and let me know if you try

Ours
Site Admin

Message par Ours » mar. oct. 29, 2019 9:42 am

Hello,

of course we try and I use it on super powerful prototypes that you can really handle without harness lines.

Usually we advise you to keep 3 handles between your hands. Then, place the harness line on the first and the second handle forward between your hands.
Actually, if you place it in the middle of your hands, it kills the feeling and doesn't work well.

Anyway, be really careful when you fly with harness lines because it can be dangerous. The main problem is when you fall forward on the wing. Because it is a big section of inflatable you can be hurt big the leading edge. You can break it, but you can also break you ;-)

I don't recommend a classic harness line. It is heavy and during tacks it can hurt your face. I had a black eye one time and I stopped. Now I use a ver thin and light rope.

The second problem is coming from the wing leash. Sometime it turns around the hook and the harness line... A big mess. But if you make things right, it will not happen a lot.

Third problem is the fact that your back hand will be catch by the harness line during some tacks. When you move your back hand fast, it is hooked by the line. The best way to avoid this is to let your back hand follow the center bladder. You touch it with your fingers and follow it to the handle you are looking for.

Be careful to not damage the wing with too much power on the harness line. I didn't had this problem, but it will happen.

With the Wing Original, the harness line is useless. Same with the Wing Plus. In fact, you will be always looking for more wind to power you instead of using the real wind to optimize the glide. The effect is more negative than positive.
Again, I use it only on 2020/2021 prototypes for Pro wingers. They have too much power to be used during a long time without harness. Same as a windsurfing sail.

Thanks for this subject.
GONG owner and shaper

coolas

Message par coolas » mar. oct. 29, 2019 10:38 am

Before the harness was invented on sailboards, we used "dragonnes" (strap loops that you insert your wrist in, like on ski poles) on the wishbone (I cut bands in old jean pants). We just let our wrists and hands locked into them, it let our forearm muscles relax, and you let go easily by opening your hand.

And they were short so no risk of having an harness line get around your neck or slap you in the face. And no harness to wear nor destructive harness hook.
2019: 7'3" Fatal 105L, Alley 7'8" 105L & 8'1" 120L, Zero 9'0" 115L
2022: Mob 7'6" cool 120L, Alleys custom 7'10" 112L & 8'1" 114L
2023: Karmen custom 7'11" 118L
Surf: 9'1" XTR proto glider

EnricoCaribe

Message par EnricoCaribe » mar. oct. 29, 2019 3:54 pm

Thank you Ours, I will treasure of your advice!!!

Ours a écrit :
mar. oct. 29, 2019 9:42 am
Hello,

of course we try and I use it on super powerful prototypes that you can really handle without harness lines.

Usually we advise you to keep 3 handles between your hands. Then, place the harness line on the first and the second handle forward between your hands.
Actually, if you place it in the middle of your hands, it kills the feeling and doesn't work well.

Anyway, be really careful when you fly with harness lines because it can be dangerous. The main problem is when you fall forward on the wing. Because it is a big section of inflatable you can be hurt big the leading edge. You can break it, but you can also break you ;-)

I don't recommend a classic harness line. It is heavy and during tacks it can hurt your face. I had a black eye one time and I stopped. Now I use a ver thin and light rope.

The second problem is coming from the wing leash. Sometime it turns around the hook and the harness line... A big mess. But if you make things right, it will not happen a lot.

Third problem is the fact that your back hand will be catch by the harness line during some tacks. When you move your back hand fast, it is hooked by the line. The best way to avoid this is to let your back hand follow the center bladder. You touch it with your fingers and follow it to the handle you are looking for.

Be careful to not damage the wing with too much power on the harness line. I didn't had this problem, but it will happen.

With the Wing Original, the harness line is useless. Same with the Wing Plus. In fact, you will be always looking for more wind to power you instead of using the real wind to optimize the glide. The effect is more negative than positive.
Again, I use it only on 2020/2021 prototypes for Pro wingers. They have too much power to be used during a long time without harness. Same as a windsurfing sail.

Thanks for this subject.

EnricoCaribe

Message par EnricoCaribe » mar. oct. 29, 2019 4:01 pm

I didn't know the solution of dragonnes but it doesn't seem the best! :D :D :D I think maybe is a little dangerous?
coolas a écrit :
mar. oct. 29, 2019 10:38 am
Before the harness was invented on sailboards, we used "dragonnes" (strap loops that you insert your wrist in, like on ski poles) on the wishbone (I cut bands in old jean pants). We just let our wrists and hands locked into them, it let our forearm muscles relax, and you let go easily by opening your hand.

And they were short so no risk of having an harness line get around your neck or slap you in the face. And no harness to wear nor destructive harness hook.

hecub

Message par hecub » lun. févr. 22, 2021 11:23 am

Ça faisait un moment que j'étais hésitant parce que je suis du genre inquiet d'abîmer le matériel. Pour me rassurer j'ai emballé la barre en inox qui tient le crochet dans de la mousse, j'ai recouvert le dessus du crochet de mousse et j'ai saucissonné tout ça avec du scotch : ça le rassure et ça protège un peu effectivement la planche en fin de session quand la fatigue rend la montée sur un peu plus chaotique.

Premier essais avec la 7 Pulse et un bout trop raide trop court : un échec, j'avais certaines difficultés pour m'accrocher et le décrochage était hyper difficile.

Deuxième tentative samedi parce que je n'avais pas le choix : très bonne session à prendre et bien mal aux bras avant de commencer. J'ai pris un bout plus lourd et beaucoup moins rigide et j'ai rallongé deux fois mon installation sur la Neutra 5. Cette fois ça se décroche bien et la position est confortable. Je ne suis pas sûr d'être accroché à plus de 50% du temps mais ça suffit pour aider : j'ai pu prendre plus de 4h de session malgré la grosse fatigue des bras et épaules des jours précédents, ce sont mes jambes qui ont fatigué en premières.
Il se trouve que bien toilé comme j'étais, je cape plus avec le harnais et sans fatigue. Je n'ai pas essayé d'aller vite une fois accroché, je ne suis pas encore assez en confiance surtout lors de cette session surf avec des mousses/vagues à gérer. Aucune chute liée ou aggravée par le harnais. La sensation était très différente du windsurf et je pense que ça doit être beaucoup plus facile à gérer pour quelqu'un sans expérience que lors de l'apprentissage en windsurf, j'ai l'impression qu'on est pas exposé au risque de catapulte comme en windsurf.

Ma protection du crochet à base de mousse et scotch me rassure mais pose problème problème : en fin de session le bout à commencé à ronger le scotch et il est arrivé que le bout reste collé, compliquant le décrochage (mais la wing c'est magique, au pire on peut lacher la main arrière pour le décrocher). Il va falloir que je trouve à faire mieux. Est ce que chez Gong c'est quelque chose sur lequel vous travaillez ?

Surf: Lethal foil 4'6
Wing: Droïd 6-5 - Neutra 4, Cruzader Diamond 6'0
Foil: Sirus XXL - XL - L, Curve H XL - L - M
YouTube

leger

Message par leger » dim. mars 14, 2021 12:36 pm

j'ai trouvé ce harnais de kite (fabrication française)
la boucle est montée sur un bout de dynema , protégée par gaine caoutchouc, totalement libre sur 360°,
tu peux même la coincer sur la partie inférieure du support de boucle (cf photo) pour nager sur la board
testé et approuvé , parfait pour remonter après une chute (pour ceux qui tombent encore après un jibe !)
défauts: rigide et un peu lourd

Nikos1985

Message par Nikos1985 » lun. mars 15, 2021 10:21 am

Interessant ce harnais! Dommage pour l'aspect rigidité.
Je m'étonne qu'il n'y ait pas encore (à ma connaissance) de harnais Wing sur le marché? Sait-on si les recherches de la NASA sont sur le point d'aboutir? :P :D

Une question sur la longueur des bouts : quelle longueur par rapport au boudin central pour vous?

Merci

hecub

Message par hecub » lun. mars 15, 2021 10:49 am

Je règle pour pouvoir avoir les bras presque tendus quand je suis accroché, ça fait à peu prêt qu'il faut que je puisse passer une longueur d'avant bras plus la main sans les doigts entre le bout et la latte centrale.

De toutes façons je te conseille d'ajuster ton réglage sur la plage avant de partir. Je ne l'ai pas fait la première fois et je me suis juste galèré à essayer de corriger ça au large.
Surf: Lethal foil 4'6
Wing: Droïd 6-5 - Neutra 4, Cruzader Diamond 6'0
Foil: Sirus XXL - XL - L, Curve H XL - L - M
YouTube

Nikos1985

Message par Nikos1985 » lun. mars 15, 2021 11:36 am

Merci Hecub, mon bout est donc clairement trop court!

J'ai fait la même connerie et je suis parti sans vérifier le réglage... Je ne me ferai pas avoir 2 fois :evil:

Ours
Site Admin

Message par Ours » lun. mars 15, 2021 12:22 pm

Hello,

un bout court peut être déroutant au début. Il faut commencer avec plus long si tu ne le sens pas en 24/28.

Merci.
GONG owner and shaper

JeanSUP

Message par JeanSUP » mar. mars 16, 2021 3:51 pm

Nikos1985 a écrit :
lun. mars 15, 2021 10:21 am
Je m'étonne qu'il n'y ait pas encore (à ma connaissance) de harnais Wing sur le marché? Sait-on si les recherches de la NASA sont sur le point d'aboutir? :P :D
Ozone (le Connect) en a sorti un, Soit disant Spécial wing, mais qui ressemble plus à un harnais de Wind ou Kite allégé, sans vraiment d’innovation.

Tu as aussi le NSI Minimalist Waist Harness, qui ressemble à un bricolage maison (pour 160 usd avec la boucle imprimée 3D).

Quand on voit les bricolages et adaptations de certains, il y a pourtant des idées très bonnes et simples. Perso j’ai un vieux harnais de Wind souple qui fera bien l’affaire quand je déciderai de tenter le harnais (je ne sais pas pourquoi j’ai une certaine appréhension).
Rider: 80 kg, 1,87m
Wing: SP 7,5m, Plus 5m, Neutra RH4m
Board: Hipe Pro 5’3 105 lt
Foil: Veloce XL et Fluid M

Nikos1985

Message par Nikos1985 » mar. mars 16, 2021 6:46 pm

Super, merci pour ces infos!
Je n'ai pas trouvé le Connect dédié au Wingfoil sur le site Ozone, uniquement un Connect pour le kitesurf et kitefoil je crois.
Concernant le NSI Minimalist Waist Harness, je trouve que le concept va dans le bon sens (ceinture assez simple et légère)... par contre, le prix est plutôt maximaliste! :D
JeanSUP a écrit :
mar. mars 16, 2021 3:51 pm
Quand on voit les bricolages et adaptations de certains, il y a pourtant des idées très bonnes et simples.
Je me dis qu'il est urgent d'attendre et que des nouveautés vont bien finir par sortir étant donné l'essor du wingfoil.
JeanSUP a écrit :
mar. mars 16, 2021 3:51 pm
Perso j’ai un vieux harnais de Wind souple qui fera bien l’affaire quand je déciderai de tenter le harnais (je ne sais pas pourquoi j’ai une certaine appréhension).
Appréhension partagée. Moi aussi je vais utiliser mon harnais de Wind (coqué) en attendant...

Répondre

Revenir à « Intermediaire / Intermediate »