Tout savoir sur les GONG FOIL ALLVATOR FRONT WING PRO FLUID – H

vvidovic

Re: Tout savoir sur les GONG FOIL ALLVATOR FRONT WING PRO FLUID – H

Message par vvidovic » jeu. avr. 27, 2023 9:40 am

I finally ordered a Fluid H plane (a front wing in M size, a pro stab 42 and an alu fuselage).
It is now on the way and will probably be here the next week so when I receive it and when I will be able to test it I will write my impressions here.
I plan to test it with Alu mast 85 cm and with my carbon monoblock 85 cm (only the front wing) but I will probably need to wait for some moderate wind to have enough power to use it.
Rider: 72 kg
Board: Gong Lethal 4'6'' 65l
Wings: Ullman Osprey 3.2, Ensis Score (3.5, 4.5 & 6.2), RRD Evo 5.5
Foils: Fluid (H M, T XXL & XLS), Curve XL; stabs: Curve 46, Fluid (43 & H 42)
Experience: Windsurf, Landkite, Wing foil

mik06

Message par mik06 » jeu. avr. 27, 2023 10:28 am

Je suis toujours en plein apprentissage de la fluid h, avec la L h au large je travaille le freefly sur les houles méditerranéennes, j'adore sa glisse.
Ce que j'apprécie beaucoup c'est sa capacité à bien tourner sur les houles mais surtout sa tolérance aux basses vitesses.
Ne maitrisant pas encore bien le freefly et la lecture des trajectoires pour rester en vol, je perds souvent ma vitesse et avec la fluid h on a vraiment le temps de reprendre la wing pour redonner un peu de puissance et se relancer sans que ça décroche.
De plus j'étais vraiment en plage haute en L h avec 25 nds, mais pas de soucis, parfois je me suis laissé surprendre en ralachant trop mes appuis et le front sortait de l'eau et bien je réussissais à raccrocher les filet d'eau sans tomber, elle me semble tolérante.
Grace à sa glisse et là encore et à sa capacité à ne pas décrocher, je progresse aussi doucement sur les différentes transitions, tack, heineken jibe et racing.
Par contre attention elle décroche très tard, presque à l'arrêt, donc être vigilent pour ne pas se gaufrer sur le foil en fin de manœuvre raté :wink: ( ça doit être valable pour toutes les fronts j'imagine)

vvidovic

Message par vvidovic » lun. mai 22, 2023 1:08 pm

My foil and stub arrived but I didn't have luck with the wind yet.
Yesterday there was a bit of wind and I was finally able to test the new pro stab 42 with the Fluid T XXL but the wind died after just 30 minutes so I need to perform more testing.

My first impressions of the new pro stub are:
- I needed to apply much more pressure to the tail: I will probably need a bigger stab for use with XXL-T - probably Fluid Pro 47 will be a great low-wind option
- I didn't expect that the 42 cm pro stub behaves so much differently from the classic stab (42 cm, 220 cm2 vs 43 cm, 270 cm2) since I used the classic stab 43 with Fluid XXL-T and XLS without noticing much difference
- I will try to push the mast more forward (it was already near the front part of the tracks but there are a few cm more available)

After more testing, I will give more details and I hope there will be a bit more wind to test the new Front wing Fluid H M.

gaby

Message par gaby » lun. mai 22, 2023 2:15 pm

Hello,

Yes, the 42 is too small for the XXL-T. The 42 is more similar to the Fluid 40 in terms of lift, the 45 is like your 43 ;)

Having the 42, it will be a great idea to get the 47 instead of the 45 to get the maximum low-end and a good difference with the 42.

vvidovic

Message par vvidovic » lun. mai 29, 2023 6:33 pm

I was finally able to test Fluid H M with Fluid H 42 stab, 2 sessions :)

The wind was quite strong the first time so I had no issues with foiling out. The first impression was that I will need quite a lot of wind to get on the foil. After the wind dropped a bit I was still able to get on the foil so it seems it doesn't need much more wind compared to my other foils. I guess that it is enough around 15 kts to use this foil. After getting on the foil it is easy to stay on the foil when wind drops.

The foil is even more fluid than my Fluid XLS - I like the feeling and it goes rail to rail very lively.
In most speed categories measured by KA72 I was not able to ride it faster than my Fluid XLS, according to my GPS watch (I was faster in 1h and 5x10 secs).
(It could also be that my new watch is producing different results compared to my broken GT-31 device)

Switching to Fluid H M was not a problem, it just needs more wind.
It is not a problem when foil tips break the water surface - though it is quite small it still works nicely.
It feels that the glide is better but I do need some more time to test it.
After I switch a few times from XXL-T to H-M and back I will probably be able to get better impressions about their differences. I am not sure that XL-S will be much used now - it seems to me that I will ride XXL-T or H-M, depending on the wind strength.

MDUGONG

Message par MDUGONG » mar. mai 30, 2023 3:36 pm

Interesting feedback. Thank you to share it with us 👍

vvidovic

Message par vvidovic » mer. mai 31, 2023 2:22 pm

I tested the Fluid H 42 stab again with the Fluid XXL-T foil and I moved a mast as much forward as possible.

It still behaved the same:
- when foiling out and going at low speed it behaves normally (a bit more front foot pressure required because of the mast position)
- when I start to go faster, the nose of the board wants to go down and I need to press the tail of the board much stronger

I noticed that compared to Fluid H M my big foil feels very slow and it seems it is having much higher resistance to moving.

I wonder if my wife's Alu mast is causing my Fluid H M foil + Fluid H 42 stab to be too slow. I don't know why but it doesn't feel quite right. I will test the Fluid H M foil with my monoblock carbon mast and Fluid 43 stab to see if I can ride it faster and if it behaves better.

Does anyone know if riding Alu mast with Fluid H foils could cause a significant downgrade in performance?

ADDED:
Does anyone know if a bigger Fluid H stab (47) works with Fluid XXL-T?
I am worried if I buy it that it will behave the same as the smaller 42 cm version I currently try to use with it.

Fred GONG

Message par Fred GONG » mer. mai 31, 2023 5:08 pm

Hello,

The mast has nothing to do with what you feel, it's your stabilizer that is too small, you need at least a 45.

A stabilizer will help with stability and lift, it will counteract the natural tendency of a front wing to dive, provided that the surfaces are balanced. Therefore, the stabilizer must be proportional to the front wing. Stabilizers come in sizes such as S, M, L, XL, just like front wings, in order to easily pair them and avoid creating any imbalance.

Thanks.
GONG team / Modérateur / May the foil be with you !

vvidovic

Message par vvidovic » mer. mai 31, 2023 8:38 pm

Thanks for your answer :)

Are Fluid H stabs compatible with Fluid T foils? For example, should the Fluid XXL-T with stub Fluid H 47 or even 49 work fine?

I am a bit worried that even big Fluid H stabs will not work good with Fluid T foils when I ride a bit faster. When riding slow, the Fluid H 42 works fine with XXL-T so I wonder if these are just not compatible at higher speeds.

I don't think that the above mentioned issue is related to Alu mast. However, I wonder if the lower than expected speed of Fluid H M foil could be caused by Alu mast. After testing Fluid H M with monoblock and classic Fluid 43 stab, I will have a better idea about that (and write my impressions here).

I wonder about buying carbon V2 or HM mast and/or Fluid H 47 stab so I am trying to find out which of those make sense for me :?:

Fred GONG

Message par Fred GONG » jeu. juin 01, 2023 10:01 am

Yes, the Fluid H stabilizers work perfectly with the Fluid T wings, once again, it's just a matter of balancing the whole setup. Choose the stab 47 for a real difference.

It's completely normal for the pitching moment to come into play early if the stabilizer is too small. Again, if the overall setup is unbalanced, it won't function properly. During acceleration or at high speed, the front wing tends to dive (nose-diving torque due to the domed profile of the upper surface of the wing, the water pressing on it makes the foil go down slightly above a certain speed. The foil will dive at high speeds because the stabilizer won't generate enough lift to counteract the pitching moment from the front wing.

The larger the wings we use, the more we'll feel the limits of mast rigidity. A stiffer mast will provide more precision because it won't flex. If you drive a car with a steering issue at low speeds, you might not notice it, but that won't be the case when you go fast. Try it out with a skateboard that has loose trucks - it will be highly maneuverable at low speeds but uncontrollable when you pick up speed. The same principle applies to foiling.
GONG team / Modérateur / May the foil be with you !

vvidovic

Message par vvidovic » jeu. juin 01, 2023 10:23 am

Thanks for the detailed answer - exactly what I needed :)

I will probably play a bit with my current masts & foils to see how they behave in different combinations.

However, it seems that the most probable result will be to buy both, the new Fluid H 47 stab and the new carbon V2 or even HM 85 cm mast. At least, as soon as I manage to finance both.

The forecast is sad for the next week but when I manage to get on the water and perform some more tests I will report my impressions.

vvidovic

Message par vvidovic » lun. juin 19, 2023 9:35 am

Finally, I tested how the new Fluid H M works with my old mast. However, the result was as expected - the classic Fluid stab 43 cm is too big for this foil. It was usable but it works much better with my Alu mast and Fluid Pro 42 cm stab.

When I buy the new carbon/HM mast I will write my impressions on the combination here.

MDUGONG

Message par MDUGONG » lun. juin 19, 2023 4:36 pm

vvidovic a écrit :
lun. juin 19, 2023 9:35 am
When I buy the new carbon/HM mast I will write my impressions on the combination here.
Yes please ! Any feedback is useful :wink:
Thank you.

vvidovic

Message par vvidovic » mer. juin 28, 2023 2:29 pm

Last weekend I was lucky enough to spend many hours on Fluid H M and Fluid T XXL.

Fluid H M needs more wind and more speed to start: after riding it for many hours, foiling up on XXL-T was unbelievably easy.
The stall speed of Fluid H M is higher, with Fluid T XXL it felt like I could stay on the foil with almost no speed at all.

Fluid H M is even more fun to ride it is more lively, and even faster rail to rail.
Its "normal" speed seems to be higher and it seems to glide better. However, because of the higher stall speed (at least for now), I noticed that for me it is a bit harder to do tack or downwind 360 than with the big Fluid T XXL.
Jumps are much higher with Fluid H M - for some reason, it works much better in that area.

I am looking forward to many hours on new foil. I do need around 15 kts to foil out comfortably and even then it is a bit harder to foil out. However, it is such fun to ride it that it is a good bargain.

mik06

Message par mik06 » mer. juin 28, 2023 3:49 pm

FLUID XXL H EN WING LIGHT
La chasse aux nds est ouverte en cette période estivale.
Pour cela je viens de recevoir une front fluid xxl h, 122 d'envergure, 1750 cm2 en espérant gagner quelques nds dans les thermiques moisis de mon spot.
Autant le dire tout de suite c'est vraiment très très bien.
Dans le catalogue immense des fronts gongs la fluid xxlh me semblait la plus porteuse, grande et facile comparée aux ypra, ypra s, veloce h et même curve h. (à voir pour la curve je n'ai pas essayé mais l’épaisseur de profil n'est pas du tout la même non plus)
Je voulais passer en high aspect pour la glisse, d'ailleurs j'ai une veloce classique xxl 1900cm2 et 107 d'envergure qui fait aussi un super job en très light.
J'adore les fluid h (jai la xl et l aussi)
Vent 5/15nds hyper irrégulier, des grosseeee molles, quelques rafales.
Board fanatic sky 95l excellente glisse
stab fluid h 45
mat 85 carbon v2 (ça m'a pas choqué la xxlh avec le carbon v2, en wing :wink: )
80 kg
7m
Jamais facile de dire à combien on décolle précisément mais il me fallait pas beaucoup, j'étais le seul à voler excepté un kite foil.
Départ en glisse + un peu de pompe sur le foil et la voile et ça part vraiment tout seul, une fois en l'air on peut traverser sereinement les molles , la glisse est excellente, on peut pomper sur le foil si nécessaire, ça glide sur le petit clapot ou à la moindre ondulation.
Le plus appréciable est la capacité de la front à accepter les faibles vitesse tout en ayant la glisse d'une high aspect avec une très faible épaisseur de profil.
En effet en fin de jibe j'ai pu trouver de façon inespérée de la portance et de la ressource pour relancer sans perdre le vol, en très light c'est hyper important pour moi, cela permet d'éviter un redécollage.
De plus elle garde une certaine maniabilité pour sa taille et reste joueuse cela permet de ne pas s’ennuyer sur le plat, mais on peut aussi la pousser en vitesse (16nds en vmax aujourd'hui sans forcer, je sais que je suis pas un rider très rapide non plus)
En conclusion, il y a les sirius c'est vrai mais juste sur leurs talons j'ai l'impression qu'il y a les fluid xxlh avec leur profil très fin qui font un super job en wing très light, pour le supfoil je ne saurais dire je ne pratique pas.
Ps: sur une cruzader ça doit encore gratter de nds, j'y songe grave

Répondre

Revenir à « "Tout savoir sur les wing foils", les sujets officiels »